From Sketch to Life
Christos Vlachos is a distinguished Greek architect and developer who was born in Athens and studied at the Polytecnico di Milano Architecture School. His work focuses on residential projects.
Focusing on residential buildings, his architectural work is chracterized by his constant oversight of his buildings from the architectual concept up until the construction of every design feature
The eclectic architecture and high-end construction values of his residential projects have earned him and his office national recognition along with a diverse and demanding clientele.
Christos Vlachos proposed the idea of creating Bioclimatic buildings and in 2012 he was given the opportunity to participate in the development of a special legal provision, which defines the construction of bioclimatic of buildings in Greece. The provision aimed to ensure the preservation of the precious natural landscape. This provision foresees town planning facilities such as increasing the building factor and differentiating from morphological rules for buildings which are built beneath the surface of the soil, with the restoration of the geometry and materials of the existing natural landscape, have only one face and have no trace of construction [other than those provided in the planning framework, such as skylights].
The ability to place the building’s main spaces in a linear alignment behind the single visible face of the building results in all rooms being adequately illuminated through their openings and enjoying the view to the horizon. This alignment, in most cases, helps to reduce the required depth of the building so that the natural light from the openings reaches as the deepest point of each space. But even in building projects that require greater depth, adequate and pleasant lighting and sunlight, is carried out through openings on the roof of the undercover, which form bright courtyards, patios, slits and through open-air corridors, providing excellent environment in the living spaces.
Shifts in light and shade, the relationship between living spaces and water, the succession of indoor and outdoor spaces with unobstructed views, are just some of the elements that make the subterranean houses ideal for both private and tourist utilization. In most examples of subterranean houses, water elements of outdoor spaces are designed as a continuation of the enclosed living spaces. This design feature, allows for unobstructed views to the horizon, while at the same time restricting viewing to and from neighbouring properties, thereby increasing the privacy of the living quarters. The financial and functional advantages of a subterranean house are mainly related to their bioclimatic and energy characteristics as well as to its construction, thus reducing the required use of technical means to create comfortable living conditions, minimizing its operating costs. The use of local stone, as well as materials with increased durability, makes subterranean houses, constructions of minimum or no maintenance costs.
INNOVATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
The primary goal of Christos Vlachos’ architecture is the use of natural and sustainable materials that integrate perfectly with the natural environment of the house, while they allow the lowest maintenance.
Large glass surfaces consist a frame for the natural landscape. They are a core element of design and construction and a trademark of Christos Vlachos’ architecture.
- All holiday houses are well orientated (mainly south), thus sunny and they offer a loft feeling and comfort indoor spaces with spectacular views.
- The spaces are designed to offer absolute privacy to the different users of the holiday house.
- Application of sustainable systems that enable the lowest possible costs and ensure efficient resources for energy autonomy.
- The houses bear adjustability to temporary and future user’s necessities. In case of change of the scenario of living in the house, there is some flexibility in creating a different plan.
- Use of high-end, certified, sustainable materials at every stage in the construction process.
- Specially-designed skylights and openings, ensure the best condition of air.
- The translucent and luxurious feature of the large glass surfaces guarantees magnificent views from every spot of the interior of the house.
- Landscape architecture is important at each development & respects the natural landscape, using Native plants.
- The residencies are stone built with green roofs, which comply with international quality standards and the latest bioclimatic specifications. The green flat roofs organically blend the property into its natural environment while also achieving the best possible heat insulation.
- Split-level and glass-walled swimming pools, with linear & glass walled swimming pools .
- Ability to resale in high resale value.
Christos Vlachos cooperates with some of the best known and established architects, civil-, mechanic- and electric engineers for his demanding constructions, which are materialized by highly professional constructors. He is also supported by an excellent real-estate and lawyer’s team who guarantee highest professionalism.
Menagia Katerina, Menagia Linda
MAISON DE CAMPAIGNE 2014
MAISON DE CAMPAIGNE 2016
MAISON DE CAMPAGNE 2022